Skip to main content
20 December 2012

“Hong Kong 2011 Population Census Thematic Report :
Ethnic Minorities” published

According to the results of the 2011 Population Census, there were a total of 451 183 ethnic minorities residing in Hong Kong in 2011, constituting 6.4% of the whole population in Hong Kong. The number of ethnic minorities increased significantly by 31% over the past 10 years, from 343 950 in 2001 to 451 183 in 2011.

Ethnic minorities refer to persons of non-Chinese ethnicity. In the Population Census/By census, the ethnicity of a person is determined by self-identification.

About 80% of ethnic minorities in Hong Kong were Asian (other than Chinese) in 2011. The majority of them were Indonesians and Filipinos, each contributing to 30% of the population of ethnic minorities.

The median age of ethnic minorities was 33.7, which was about 8 years lower than that of the whole population of 41.7. The sex ratio (i.e. number of males per 1 000 females) of ethnic minorities was 295, which was significantly lower than the overall sex ratio of 876. This was attributable to the fact that around half of the ethnic minorities in Hong Kong were foreign domestic helpers, of whom some 99% were females. After excluding foreign domestic helpers, the sex ratio of ethnic minorities became 1 039, which was higher than that of the whole population of 939.

There were 86 968 domestic households with ethnic minorities other than live-in foreign domestic helpers in 2011. Among them, 74% had members all being ethnic minorities and the remaining 26% had both members being ethnic minorities and members of Chinese ethnicity. Over three-fourth of domestic households with ethnic minorities other than live-in foreign domestic helpers lived in private permanent housing and this proportion was higher than that of 52% for all domestic households in the whole territory. On the other hand, the proportion of them living in public housing rental housing rose from 11% in 2001 to 14% in 2011.

The classification of ethnicity adopted in the Population Census/By-census is determined with reference to a combination of concepts such as cultural origins, nationality, colour and language. This practice is in line with the recommendations promulgated by the United Nations in 2008, and has taken into account the practices of other countries as well as local circumstances. In Hong Kong, a significant proportion of the population is Chinese, and among the non-Chinese, Asians account for the majority. Therefore, there are more Asian related ethnic groups in the classification.

Further details about the characteristics of ethnic minorities are available in the publication entitled “Hong Kong 2011 Population Census Thematic Report : Ethnic Minorities” which has been published today (December 20). Users can download this publication free of charge at the website of the C&SD (http://www.censtatd.gov.hk/hkstat/sub/sp170.jsp?productCode=B1120062).

 

Last revision date: 31 December 2012